Friday, November 5, 2010

Les experiences inoubliables

A Few Little Things From The Past I Won’t Let Go
If man could really invent a time machine, it would seriously be a technological triumph as well as a priceless contribution towards civilization. It would enable us to do tons of beyond-imagination things. We’d possibly get the luck to have a rendez-vous with our grand, grand, grandparents or to witness from afar by the day Krakatoa exploded massively back in 1883; to break down the mystery of how Madagascar was populated etc, etc. Just too many possibilities. But there’d be no such thing we called history if such machine did exist, wouldn’t it? So we’d better stand lightyears apart from it. As for me, I do have some memories which are too sweet to get over. But I mostly find that the memories of my childhood are the hard ones to recall. Perhaps my childhood wasn’t that interesting that it wouldn’t turn itself into a long-term memory. Overall in this ever-expanding universe, it’s strange to think that all adventures have an end. So nasty knowing we’ll leave this world in the end, that every living creatures has to breath his very last breath. Oh la la life is so whimsical ;)

≠1. One day I was sitting in a cafe with my Danish and Swedish friends. While waiting for the orders, we broke into a conversation. Having known I knew some Norwegian, he challenged me to say something in it. So I said a simple sentence, “Jeg tror vi kan gå på kino i dag (I think we can go to the cinema today)”. They both could got it. That way I proved that the mutual intelligibility among Scandinavian languages wasn’t a myth ;)

≠2. I made my first air trip from Solo to Surabaya when I was in my second or third year of primary school. The flight itself lasted only some 30 minutes, but it surely had a deep impact in the innocent me. I’ve been fascinated by airplanes ever since.

≠3. I had a hard-to-please English teacher during my second year of middle school. Being her student meant we had to have a good memory as every week she obliged us to remember by heart the conjugation list of irregular verbs she made. If not for her, I could hardly think what would happen to my English today. She really laid the building blocks for improving my English. A grace in disguise, isn’n it?

≠4. I had my first Mc. Do’s big meal hamburger during a layover in Bali on my way to Japan. I got the impression that munching burger in the middle of the night was awfully awful. I couldn’t find out why.

≠5. My 5 day trip to Japan in 2000 was more than I bargained for. FYI, I went to a small town on Shikoku Island called Kochi to represent Surabaya in education exchange program. Both towns were twinned on a sister city program. But they didn’t ressemble much, frankly speaking ;). Japan was, like the rumours had it, convenient. I love the Kansai Airport in Osaka, so biggy and looked futuristic. And when in Kochi I did a lot of tour: visiting some schools, visiting some interesting places in the town, learning how the garbages was recycled and managed carefully and attentively (they had a huge building with a giant garbage-processing machine in it), most importantly I had the chance to stay overnight by a Japanese family. Though I didn’t speak any Japanese, I could always find the way to communicate with them. But we’ve now somewhat lost contact to each other.

≠6. Long before English started to intrude Indonesian vocabulary, one used to call a flat or an appartement as kondominium. On a train to Bandung, I saw that kind of buliding. Moments later I screamed enthusiastically, “Papa, look, there’s a tall and huge kondom (instead of saying kondominium)”. I bursted out like crazy that my dad had to cover my big mouth ;) Guess, it was a bit embarassing for my parents.

≠7. I was so excited knowing I was accepted in a medical school through the national college entrance exam after a series of flops. Didn’t know exactly how come I could make it. It was fated maybe.

≠8. Graduating from my highschool was perhaps the happiest moment in my life. Some say that highschool is the best stage in your lifetime. But it just didn’t work on me. I just couldn’t get along well with it.

≠9. One should really see the sunrise over Mt. Bromo and the sunset over Uluwatu Temple in Bali. I insist!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Lombok’s Kuta beach and Gili Trawangan are my revelations of the year!!!!!

≠10. I miss Saudi Arabian city of Madina!!!!!!!! It’s always in my heart!

≠11. The rest is mine to keep ;P

No comments: