Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dropping Your Brain On The Paperwork

I’ve heard many times people say that they have the best job in the world. To tell you the truth I’ve never really been able to relate mine to that kind of statement, not until today. In fact, today was supposed to be like any other days I’d lived before. I was one of three physicians in charge at the emergency unit this morning. I came an hour late for work because I felt like somewhat sleep-deprived by the time I woke up to the alert ring from my cell phone I set up regularly at 4.45 a.m. Besides I decided to go on foot to the hospital this morning since I realized I had been in my second week of physical inactivity. I missed my 60-minute Sunday morning jogging cos I spent a couple of weekend back at my parents’ home in Surabaya. 


By the time I arrived at the ER around 8 a.m. there were already four or five patients awating in the ward. There I went doing my job, taking history, doing necessary physical examinatons, then going back to my seat ready to rearrange the stories the patients told me on their medical record. This is inarguably my favourite part of the job, trying to rule out some differential diagnosis, thinking of all the possibilities to pave the path for establishing the most accurate diagnosis. I call it a creative process of dropping your brain on the paperwork. A process in which your academic capacities are put on test for real. A process uniquely by you that yields a result which sometimes leaves your signature, your flavor that makes you differ from your colleagues. Then, once the diagnosis is established, it’s not that difficult to administer the proper treatments to the patients. But truly this is among the most fulfilling part, it gives you a good feeling at the start and confidence along the recovery process of the patients. 


But on top of that, being able to work as a part of team is highly valued. The good thing about working here is that no matter how high workload can be, you can always delegate the work to the nurses. We exchange our experiences to give the best medical care for the patients, we listen to and we’re respectful of each other. Each recognizes his own domain, we never try to outsmart or outpower towards one to another. Such a nice working environment down here, I must admit. 

 Irrespective of those, I’ve been feeling a major change inside me in regard with my attitude when serving the patients. I feel that I tend to be more tender even when I have to deal with patients who have the look of questioning both your medical skill, academic capabilty and integrity or with those trying to outsmart you. Seriously, I used to be overly defensive towards these kinds of people. Now that I think it will only ruin my mood for the rest of the day, I just let their words come in one ear and out the other. I don’t want to get mad easily at the so-called cheap tricks. I’m now getting used to being a listener while trying to sort what really matters from their speeches and remain critical. That’s the best way out I think. Overall, think I’m already on the point of no return. Today is the day where I fully realize that being a physician is God’s best gift He has ever granted me. Le jour où je comprends complѐtement qu’être un médecin, c’est le plus beau don du ciel jamais fait sur moi. Dieu merci.

No comments: